Thursday, May 15, 2008

Butterfly Project - Houston Holocaust Museum

1,500,000 children perished in the holocaust. In an effort to honor their memory, The Holocaust Museum - Houston is sponsoring The Butterfly Project. It's goal is to collect 1.5 million handmade butterflies which will eventually comprise a breath-taking exhibition for all to remember. The deadline is June 30, 2008.

My contribution to this cause will be several bead embroidered butterflies I create from a piece of pre-printed fabric that I found. This is what I've done so far.

As I was working, I found that my thread kept getting caught up in the corners. Frustrated, I grabbed the scissors and snipped them off - only to find out that I had also accidently cut off part of a wing. I ended up "winging it" (so sorry!) and so the other wing is a little short - nature is like that. I was surprised at how long it took me to bead embroider this one butterfly - over 4 hours - but I really enjoyed the process and will be starting on the other two this weekend. The butterflies will be cut out and backed with suede before I send them in.

The museum is accepting butterflies no larger than 8 inches by 10 inches in any medium the artist chooses, but one-dimensional submissions are preferred. Glitter should not be used. Click on the link above for more details.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OK, girlie, I'm checking my stash for some ideas....
luv, CL